SAINT AGUSTINE – Florida EEUU
St. Augustine (From Spanish: San Agustín) is a city in the Southeastern United States, on the Atlantic coast of northeastern Florida. Founded in 1565 by Spanish explorers, it is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement in the United States proper (San Juan, Puerto Rico was settled earlier, in 1521).
St. Augustine was founded on September 8, 1565, by Spanish admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, Florida’s first governor. He named the settlement “San Agustín”, as his ships bearing settlers, troops, and supplies from Spain had first sighted land in Florida eleven days earlier on August 28, the feast day of St. Augustine.
The city served as the capital of Spanish Florida for over 200 years. It was designated as the capital of British East Florida when the colony was established in 1763; Great Britain returned Florida to Spain in 1783.
Spain ceded Florida to the United States in 1819, and St. Augustine was designated the capital of the Florida Territory upon ratification of the Adams–Onís Treaty in 1821.
The Florida National Guard made the city its headquarters that same year. The territorial government moved and made Tallahassee the capital of Florida in 1824.
The county seat of St. Johns County, St. Augustine is part of Florida’s First Coast region and the Jacksonville metropolitan area. Since the late 19th century, St. Augustine’s distinct historical character has made the city a tourist attraction.
In 1965, St. Augustine celebrated the 400th anniversary of its founding, and jointly with the State of Florida, inaugurated a program to restore part of the colonial city.
The Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board was formed to reconstruct more than thirty-six buildings to their historical appearance, which was completed within a few years.
When the State of Florida abolished the Board in 1997, the City of St. Augustine assumed control of the reconstructed buildings, as well as other historic properties including the Government House. In 2010, the city transferred control of the historic buildings to UF Historic St. Augustine, Inc., a direct support organization of the University of Florida.
St. Augustine has a humid subtropical climate or Cfa – typical of the Gulf and South Atlantic states. The low latitude and coastal location give the city a mostly warm and sunny climate.
Like much of Florida, St. Augustine enjoys a high number of sunny days, averaging 2,900 hours annually. Unlike much of the contiguous United States, St. Augustine’s driest time of year is winter.
The hot and wet season extends from May through October, while the cool and dry season extends November through April.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 12,975 people, 5,743 households, and 2,679 families residing in the city. 13.1% of the population was under the age of 18, 15.3% from 18 to 24, 23.9% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 19% who were 65 years of age or older.
The median age was 42.6 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.8 males. The United States Census Bureau’s 2013 estimate of the city’s population was 13,679, while the urban area had a population of 71,379 in 2012.
Points of Interest: Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, Fort Mose, Historic, Site, Colonial Quarter, The City Gates of Saint Augustine, The Government House, Flagler College, The Bridge of Lions, The Lightner Museum, Memorial Presbyterian Church, The Saint Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum, among others.
But of course, Saint Augustine is also the house of the World Golf Hall of Fame!
The World Golf Hall of Fame is located at World Golf Village and it is unusual among sports halls of fame in that a single site honors both men and women. It is supported by a consortium of 26 golf organizations from all over the world.
The Hall of Fame Museum Building was designed by the specialist museum architecture firm E. Verner Johnson and Associates of Boston. They also produced the museum master plan that established the size, mission and qualities of the museum and the surrounding facilities and site.
The Hall of Fame Museum features a permanent exhibition and a rolling program of temporary exhibitions. Designed by museum design firm Ralph Appelbaum Associates, the Hall of Fame and exhibition area contains exhibits on the game’s history, heritage, and techniques; major players and organizations; golf course design, equipment, and dress; and new directions, such as ecological concerns in course management.
The World Golf Hall of Fame was originally located in Pinehurst, North Carolina, and was privately operated by Diamondhead Corp., then owners of the Pinehurst Resort. It opened in September 1974 with an initial class of 13 members. Initially it was a local project, but the PGA of America took over management in 1983 and acquired full ownership in 1986.
Two other halls of fame have been merged into the World Golf Hall of Fame. The PGA of America established one in 1940, which was merged into the Pinehurst Hall in the 1980s.
The Hall of Fame of Women’s Golf was established by the LPGA in 1951, with four charter members: Patty Berg, Betty Jameson, Louise Suggs, and Babe Zaharias.
It was inactive for some years, but in 1967 it moved into its first physical premises, which were in Augusta, Georgia and was renamed the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame. In 1998 it merged into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
In 1994 the global golf industry established a non-profit making body called the World Golf Foundation to promote the sport, with the creation of an enhanced Hall of Fame as one of its main objectives. Construction at the new site in St. Johns County began in 1996 and the new facility opened on May 19, 1998.
In October 2013, the Hall announced that it was reviewing its selection process and that there would be no induction ceremony in 2014. A new process was announced in March 2014.
Starting in 2014, members are inducted into the Hall of Fame in one of four categories: Male Competitor, Female Competitor, Veterans, and Lifetime Achievement categories. Elections are held every other year with induction ceremonies in odd number years beginning in 2015
. The process has changed from that used from 1996 to 2013. The minimum qualifications for male and female competitors are: minimum of 40 years old, or five years removed from “active competition” and 15 or more wins on “approved tours” or two “major wins”.
The veterans category is primarily for those golfers whose careers ended before 1980 and includes both amateurs and professionals. The lifetime achievement category remains from the old system.
A 20-member selection sub-committee will choose from among the eligible candidates and select ballots for a selection committee.
There will be five names each on the male and female ballots and three names each on the veterans and lifetime achievement ballots.
A separate 16-member selection committee will then vote on all four ballots. Election to the Hall of Fame will require 75% of the vote and each year’s election class is limited to two from each ballot and five total.
In 2016, the Hall announced that the age requirement would be raised to 50 from 40 years old. In 2020, the age went from 50 to 45.
The mission of the World Golf Hall of Fame is to celebrate golf and preserve the legacies of those who have made it great.
The Hall of Fame and Museum, located at World Golf Village in St. Augustine, Fla., serves as a steward of the game through engaging, interactive storytelling and exhibitions featuring artifacts, works of art, audio, video and photography significant to the history of golf and its members.
The golf world came together in 1974 to form a central location to honor its greats, regardless of gender or nationality. The World Golf Hall of Fame opened in Pinehurst, North Carolina, to much fanfare as the first class of legends was inducted. President Gerald Ford was among the luminaries on hand to welcome the Hall’s first class, which included 13 of the game’s greatest.
Patty Berg, Walter Hagen, Ben Hogan, Robert Tyre Jones, Jr., Byron Nelson, Jack Nicklaus, Francis Ouimet, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Harry Vardon and Babe Zaharias were all honored in the first induction class.
In all, the Hall of Fame in Pinehurst inducted 71 new members.
On May 19, 1998, the World Golf Hall of Fame opened in its new location in St. Augustine, Florida. Several members of the inaugural class, including Palmer, Sarazen and Snead, were on the stage to welcome the first class for the new building: Nick Faldo and Johnny Miller.
The Hall of Fame is the centerpiece of World Golf Village, a unique vacation destination with two championship golf courses, high-end accommodations and several other amenities. Visitors from around the world continue to flock to the Hall of Fame and make use of the Village’s world-class facilities.
Meanwhile, the Hall of Fame works closely with the world’s leading golf organizations, including the PGA TOUR, the LPGA, the Masters, the USGA, the PGA of America, the PGA European Tour and The R&A, along with the professional tours in Asia, Australia, Japan and South Africa on a variety of initiatives.
Each of these organizations believe in the Hall of Fame’s mission and recognizes the importance of the legacy and honoring the history of golf and the legacies of those who have made it great.